The best surfaces to install artificial turf and decoration guidelines
If you want to change your garden, patio, any room in your house or even your office, artificial turf is the best option to choose. It is resistant, has a very natural appearance and its maintenance is easy and affordable.
In this article we explain what are the most common surfaces where you can install artificial turf, and give you some basic steps to follow. This will help you achieve the best results possible in a long-lasting installation.
Before you begin your project, you must consider what materials you will need for decoration purposes and where the turf will meet. It is also important to know the type of drainage the installation needs. You must consider this to figure out the amount of materials needed and how much time you’ll spend in the installation.
Surfaces where you can install artificial grass:
Artificial grass can be installed in any type of surface, as long as we consider the different characteristics of each project. Each project is different, and it is important to adapt to each specific case. You must consider how much this surface will be used and the weather conditions of the area.
You can install artificial turf over dirt, cement, asphalt or any floor or tiles, among other surfaces. You can also use artificial grass to decorate objects or walls.
Tools and materials required to install artificial grass:
When installing artificial turf, you have to follow a few simple steps.
Make sure you have all the materials and tools you’ll need for the installation ready before you begin. According to the needs of each specific project, you may need all the materials and tools or only some of them. If you have any questions, you may ask your product supplier or call a professional installer.
Recommended materials and tools:
- Measuring tape
- Safety gloves
- Nails or staples
- Weedkiller spray
- Artificial grass
- Seaming tape
- Adhesive tape for artificial grass
- Sherrated shovel
- Glue applicator
- Silica sand
- Push broom
- Realsmell enzymatic cleaner. Realsmell is a product developed by Realturf that combines a triple action enzymatic cleaner, antistatic treatment and freshly cut grass smell.
Steps to install artificial turf:
Step 1. Measure the surface and prepare the ground.
Step 2. Place a weedblock to prevent to growth of weeds. This fabric will also help draining and protect the base.
Step 3. Measure and cut the artificial turf.
Step 4. Lay out the rolls of artificial turf on the ground evenly.
Step 5. Set the installation. You may use adhesives to set the artificial turf to the ground.
Step 6. You may fill the lawn with silica sand, in order to settle the artificial turf to the ground and avoid an uneven surface.
Step 7. Brush the lawn so that all the fibers sit up straight.
We provide you a video tutorial where you have more in detail information on how to install artificial turf on the ground.
To install artificial grass on cement, tiles or any type of surface, follow the steps above. You don’t have to follow Step 2 because weedblock fabrics are only necessary on natural ground installations.
Below is the link to our website in case you need to follow the installation process step by step. There’s also a tutorial video on how to install artificial turf on different surfaces including tile surfaces.
If you would rather spend your free time in other activities or need professional help, we can give you a list of professional installers.
Ideas on how to decorate and finish your artificial turf installation:
Below we give you some ideas on what materials and objects you can use to decorate your artificial turf installation, as well as different surfaces where you can lay the artificial turf. Any of these ideas can help you make your installation look amazing and very natural.
- Garden stones and flagstones: They can be set on the artificial turf to create different contrasts. It´s better to use sturdy stones that sit at least 1.5 to 2.5 cm (1/2 to 1 inch) below the hair or fiber of the artificial turf.
- Between concrete slabs or tiles in your garden: The drainage system is very important in this type of design. You should place a layer of stones that help drainage before setting the layer of compacted material.
- Next to concrete sidewalks or parking areas: You can place the lawn at any height you want;below the sidewalk, at the same level or higher than the sidewalk. Choose the design that you like best.
- On top of a concrete surface: Placing artificial turf on top of a concrete surface will give you a comfortable, soft and natural looking surface. If it is a clear,shinny surface any possible sparkles will be minimized with this type of design. You can shape and size your installation in any way. You can glue the synthetic grass to the surface to avoid it from sliding.
- Natural rocks and stones: You can place rocks and natural stones on the sides of the installation to hold the artificial grass in place. This will serve for decoration and act as a weed barrier. You should always place a non-woven fabric when installing on natural ground to avoid the emergence of weeds and have a long-lasting installation.
- Decorative blocks and flagstones: This is a great way to decorate that gives a beautiful and solid touch in artificial and natural grass installations.
- Tiles and slabs walkways: If you decide to install artificial grass on existing tiles or slabs walkways, you should remove them and prepare the sub-base. You must place a weedblock fabric , rearrange and compact the materials before placing the tiles or slabs again. Now you can lay the grass around the slabs or tiles.
As you can see, there are many ideas on how to decorate your artificial grass installation. Which one is your favorite? One last tip: always choose high quality grass. This will guarantee a long-lasting artificial grass installation.
At Realturf we use the latest technologies in all of our products, which guarantees high quality installations.
Get in touch with professionals, call Realturf!.